Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Hello and Welcome!


I originally set up this blog with the intention of sharing (something) in 2008. But, since you're reading this first blog post, it's obvious I just never got around to it. Actually, I never could come up with a reason to blog about anything that I felt people would be interested in. But something spurred me to take advantage of this media as a means of sharing my passion for photography.

I've been keenly interested in photography since my high school days in the early 1970's. I worked part-time during the summers and on weekends to save up enough to buy my first camera - a Minolta 35mm. Since a 'good' photographer can never have too much camera equipment, it was quickly joined by a Yashica Model-D twin-lens reflex camera that used 2.25" format film. I learned darkroom technique and tried to learn as much as I could from other photographers around me. In my senior year in high school I was lucky enough to be accepted into the work study program for photography. That allowed me to roam the school constantly on the lookout for that next interesting shot, to be part of the yearbook team and free and ready access to the on-campus darkroom.

Through the years my involvement in photography has waxed and waned as 'Life' happened. The equipment I used changed as well. There's a long line of cameras and other assorted stuff such as; Polaroid Instant cameras, Kodak Instamatic, various flash units, add on lenses and tripods. Most of what I shot were snapshots of vacation sites, family gatherings and the like.

When digital cameras started entering the market I was keenly interested for several reasons; 1) I didn't need a darkroom (or trips to the local drugstore for processing), 2) I'm in the computer industry so going digital was a natural for me! and 3) I realized I could shoot to my hearts content and simply delete what I didn't like! Bingo! - renewed interest!

Today I carry around a Canon 40D with a variety of lenses and accessories. Among them are:
- Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM
- Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
- Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
- Canon EF 1.4X II Extender
- various lens filters
- Sunpak 757TM Tri-Monopod

There are two backup cameras (for when it's more practical to use something smaller):
- Sony DSC-F707
- Sony DSC-T70

Most of what I shoot is found either in my backyard or the Nisqually Wildlife Refuge (my other backyard).

I'll post up some of my more favorite shots over time. If you want to see more, you can visit my Flickr account

Enjoy...

1 comment:

LizzieJane said...

Let me be the first to comment on what I hope will be a long adventure. Can't wait to see all that the new camera will do.
x