Friday, March 26, 2010

These guys are a challenge!

As difficult as these guys are to photograph, I seem to enjoy shooting them more than anything else. I suppose it validates me (in my own mind) that I actually know what I'm doing with a camera in my hand. I usually don't know how a picture turns out until I upload them and view them on a large monitor. Out of 100 shots I'll get maybe one or two that actually takes my breath away.

So, what am I babbling about? Hummingbirds! You know, those dive-bombing, aerial-acrobats that sound like the biggest bumble bee you'll every want to meet. The smallest bird in North America (and other places, I'd imagine).

I live in western Washington State. According to Hummingbirds.Net, there are 4 species of hummingbirds known to be in Washington:
- Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna)
- Rufous Hummingbird (Selasphorus rufus)
- Black-chinned Hummingbird (Archilochus alexandri)
- Calliope Hummingbird (Stellula calliope)
I've been fortunate enough to have been able to snap off pictures of three of them - in my own backyard! The one that eludes me (so far) is the Black-chinned Hummer.

Some of my more favorite shots of these guys are:










The Calyope (Male)


The Rufous (Female)


The Anna's (Male)


The Rufous (Female)

(You can click on the pictures to view the full size version - well worth it!)

Again - I'd appreciate your critique. Please feel free to leave a comment.

Tom

No comments: